Saturday, July 08, 2006

O'Leary Rebounds


Click on Relaxing George to read the entire article.

O'Leary is convinced Central Florida can eventually compete with the big three Florida schools on a regular basis, that there are that many athletes in the state of Florida.

"Right now, we're hoping to recruit the Florida players who are thinking about leaving the state," he said. "We're going to knock heads with the big boys. I know kids will still lean to Florida, FSU and Miami right now. And those guys still look at us as a game they want to play, a win for them.

"That won't be the case in the near future."

A new 10-year deal
The Golden Knights visit Florida on Sept. 9, then host South Florida the following week.
"I want to play two of the Florida schools every year," O'Leary said. "We have Miami in two years, replacing Florida."

Central Florida opens its new stadium in 2007. It'll seat 45,000 with an easy expansion to 65,000 possible. They just gave O'Leary a hefty 10-year contract with a sizeable buyout clause.

O'Leary said the buyout clause was fine with him. He likes this marriage and plans on being around for a while. He's sure he's already endured the hardest part.

"When we were 0-11, I have to admit, every Saturday was the worst feeling of my life. I told my wife to get all the sharp objects out of the kitchen.

"But I knew coming in that we were going to be bad. It's just the way it was. You don't often come into a place that's in great shape, and things weren't great here. But I saw the commitment they were willing to make and they have."

"When you look at the program and the system he brought in, yeah, the turnaround was quicker than expected for everyone except Coach O'Leary," Tribble said. "The lofty expectations we have now certainly beats where we were."

But at 60, is a 10-year contract really something O'Leary wants to fulfill?

"Maybe, I don't know," he said. "The first time I come to work two days in a row and wonder why am I doing this, I'll quit," he said. (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution-ajc.com)

No comments: