Samuel is staying step ahead

Click on Asante to read more.
FOXBOROUGH -- Entering his fourth NFL season, Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel has taken a different approach to his offseason training. He's gotten Freaky.
Staying at his Florida home instead of working out at Gillette Stadium -- so he could be present for the birth of his third child, Amaiya -- Samuel teamed up with Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jevon Kearse to train two days per week. Kearse has been called "The Freak" because of his unique combination of speed, power, and athleticism. Samuel now knows why.
"He's a powerful, strong, explosive guy, a freak of nature," Samuel said. "I'm training out there, trying to hold him with resistant bands, and you need two guys holding them."
The work, supervised by trainer Jeff Sanders, was designed so nothing will hold the 25-year-old Samuel back entering the final year of his contract.
"I tried to pair them up as much as possible," Sanders said. "Their strengths complement each other."
The 5-foot-10-inch, 185-pound Samuel has seen his role expand in each of his first three seasons -- starting one game as a rookie, 11 in 2004, and 17 last season. Samuel intercepted passes in each of his last three games last season and has eight picks in 52 career games.
Asked if he's prepared to become a No. 1 cornerback, Samuel said he believes he already fills that role.
"Over the past two years," he said, "I feel like I've taken the best receiver on every team."
No comments:
Post a Comment